Saturday, June 16, 2007

Sausages and Shaving Cream

So that sausage I bought earlier at the French market? Not sure how it's supposed to be eaten. Got about a quarter of the way through when I realized that it might not actually be cooked. Hm. No instructions, either.

Took Caroline to her school fair today. Apparently, it's a common practice among the older children to have shaving cream wars at these things. There were roving bands of kids with squirt guns loaded with shaving cream. Interesting time. I helped win the tug of war. It was actually a lot of fun, and they also had beer, wine and Pimm's, which made my whole day!

I should explain Pimm's. It's a spirit, I've heard that it's gin-based, which I always associated with old people who smelled like mothballs. Turns out - surprise, surprise - it's really good, especially when mixed with Sprite and various bits of fruit like apples, oranges and cucumbers. OK, so cucumbers aren't technically a fruit, but they put them in anyway and boy, it's tasty! So all you US-bound party people, run out and get yourselves a bottle of Pimm's No. 1 Cup for your next party. It's tops.

Michele and I are going out, alone, for the first time since we arrived. Our sitter, who lives across the street, is coming to not only watch the kids, but put them to bed, too. Yikes! But we're looking forward to it. Hopefully I won't be doubled over in pain from eating the raw pork.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I believe that the cucumber is, technically, a fruit!

Why have I never heard of Pimm's? I'll have to give it a try.

Anonymous said...

Sorry - forgot to sign my comment! It's Amy. :-)