Saturday, June 23, 2007

Mexican't Night

I got this great idea today at the Borough Market. It's easy to get inspired by the mountains of beautiful produce from all corners of the world; there's something very Imperial about buying beans from Egypt and oranges from Spain. Anyway, my idea was to make guacamole and mojitos tonight. The ripe avocados, the fresh cilantro and mint, the gorgeous tomatos and green chillis, they were all there, all waiting for me to just put them together in the right amounts and make a wonderful meal. Maybe some Spanish ham (acorn-fed) to start, a little chorizo, a bit of cheese and a nice bottle of rioja would make the night complete.

That's often how it goes with me. I have a grand vision in mind, but lack the means to execute on that vision. I wanted to dig to China when I was a kid, but got sidetracked while looking for a shovel.

My guacamole, because I am too arrogant to follow a recipie, was more like avocado salsa. Don't get me wrong, it's tasty, but it ain't guac. And the mojitos (my Avalon friends will recall the many, many pitchers of mojitos which fortified us for those interminable Texas Hold 'Em Death Matches between Yingling and Michele), well, let's just say, club soda isn't sold at the Indian bodega around the corner, and Sprite isn't the ideal substitute.

The chorizo and cheese and, thanks to Michele's expidition to the wine shop down the street, the rioja, are a reality, though. Not sure this was the healthiest dinner, but it's certainly tasty...

No comments: