Monday, September 27, 2010

A Lexical Celebration

The other day I had occasion to tell someone that I felt I was underutilized.  Picking up on a Briticism I'd heard, I said I was "going spare."  When I first heard this expression, I took it to mean that the speaker felt he had spare capacity.  In fact, it means to go crazy with worry.  Another definition I've  seen suggests that it is a term for a promiscuous woman.  I am neither, really.

And recently, I told someone who'd changed her mind a number of times that she'd been "waffling and prevaricating."  I thought prevaricating meant more or less the same thing as vacillating, and I guess I was trying to be impressive by not using such a common word as vacillating.  'Prevaricating' in fact means 'deliberately misleading', a sentiment which I did not intend at all.  I really must remember not to use big words unless I'm actually sure of their meaning.  (I must also remember to apologize to the person whom I called indecisive and dishonest, but we're no longer on speaking terms, so that may have to wait for another day.)

I admit that I am occasionally overconfident in my speech and writing, but I think it's endearing.  I also think writing should be colourful.  Words are wonderful, and our language is a veritable treasure trove of them.  English has, by some estimates, over 250,000 words.  Counting multiple meanings of the same spelling, George W. Bush's mispronunciations and Bill Clinton's fungible definitions of 'is' the total comes in at over three quarters of a million.

The variety and depth and subtlety of meaning that can be achieved with our language is astounding.  We should embrace words, celebrate them, fling them joyously about like rice at a wedding (well, like organic free range bird feed anyway).

Just try not to say 'prevaricate' when you mean 'vacillate'.

1 comment:

Kir said...

I love WORDS and like you, I often use them not "quite" knowing what they mean. it does get me into trouble sometimes, but it's worth it :)