Sunday, August 29, 2010

Continental Breakfast

Continental Breakfast

I have recently been bitten by the travel bug.  Om a whim (or, as some would say, because I've taken leave of my senses), I decided to take the family to Switzerland for the week.  I remember now why travelling with children is, if not an outright bad idea, at least a less sane one than travelling as a couple or with friends.  Children need to sleep. They need to eat regularly. They are not adventurous eaters. Their idea of a good time does not involve a leisurely lunch in a cafe with a nice bottle of Swiss wine (you didn't know there was such a thing, did you?).  Michael is perpetually fidgeting and upsetting the glassware. Caroline won't eat croissants.  There is nowhere to obtain a proper brekkie, even on Sunday. The children bicker. Constantly.  Travelling with them, at least in a city, is an expensive, often unpleasant undertaking.

I say expensive, but actually 'exorbitant' would be more accurate here.  I paid £25 for a panini, a croissant, an espresso and two glasses of milk today. London is pricey. Geneva is ludicrous.   

On the upside, my French is getting better. I only screwed up once today that i know of anyway, ordering pineapple sorbet (ananas) instead of the banana ice cream (banan) that Michele wanted. Ah, well, say lah vee.

We leave the city tomorrow to drive to Yvoire, on the French side of Lake Geneva. We're meant to be staying in a 12th century castle. I booked online. The site was in French.  There's a fair chance we'll be staying in a 1970's shed, but we'll see.        

No comments: